Monday, August 26, 2002

Well, I had this long and involved character bio half written for Cata, and then the thunderstorm blinked the power (there's something about black-outs, the sudden absence of light and sound and electricity- we take so much for granted, really, and in those few moments of utter natural silence(which isn't silent at all, but filled with the wind howling and rain beating desperately against the windows and the roarcrackgrowl of thunder that makes the dishes on the wall shake) the world suddenly seems so much smaller- until the lights snap back on, and the computer reboots with it's crackle and hum, and the the oddest feeling washed over me- a tingle of electricity returning, as though I, too, were wired to the outlet in the wall, a crackle of black and red sparks all along my arms, starting at my fingertips where they touched the keyboard and ending at my spine where it flashed behind my eyes...) so I lost the whole thing.

The hairdryer bit directly references Cata, though- she appeared in my head a few days ago, in the form of an image that didn't so much beg as command to be drawn (though given my lack of talent at reproducing the images in my head, what started off as an expression of absolute distance has taken on tinges of scorn- I hate it when my ideas and muses give me funny looks); I started to try on...Friday? Yes, Friday, but then I burnt my finger, and I couldn't hold anything but an icecube for a while. My finger now has a funny looking blister, but doesn't hurt, and holding pencils is only slightly more awkward than normal.

Still, the inability to draw forced creativity through other outlets, and while I was drying my hair on Saturday, Cata and Umbra and Zyn showed up in my head. (I should possibly clarify that few of my characters actually speak to me; (antisocial lot that they are) when I say they show up, they do just that, usually halfway through some random scene with no introduction or explanation, just going at it with words or swords or extendable forks, and then it's my job to figure out who the hell they are and what the hell they're doing.)

I've always wanted to do some sort of super-hero story (see my sailor moon obsession); a few years ago I found the other brother's comic book stash in his closet, and I'd spend hours picking through them. (I've always had a particular soft spot for X-Men, simply because of very happy, very old memories involving the cartoon (that and the fact that Gambit just rocked), but I've also developed a fondness for Spiderman, Ghost Rider, and The Punisher (inasmuch as one can develop a fondness for them...). The other brother didn't deal much with DC Comics, beyond about three Batman issues; he was a Marvel kind of guy.) It was somewhat inevitable that I'd start designing my own superheroes. *cough* That was a little bit of a while ago...and most of them could be found in one form or another as existing characters. (Damn Marvel's proliferation! Damn it!)

Anyway (as this is getting further and further away from the oh, so blunted point), Cata is my latest super-hero, only slightly twisted and quite a bit darker than most of my original ideas were. She wanders the streets of the city (I suck at figuring settings. I'd make a lewd comment just to get my point across, but really, it's inarticulable. (I'd make a lewd comment about that, too, but that would be quite pointless...aw, fuck. Give me a minute to get my mind out of the gutter, would ya?)) as Nocturne, catsuited fighter of...something.

The original image in my head was one of Nocturne, who is less human than she isn't, and wears a lot of black. (The picture I saw was Yoshitaka Amano-esque, done in watercolors with his trademark pale skin and graceful figures- I suppose she looked vaguely like some of the character art for Terra from FFVI, but not exactly...it's times like this that I could tear my eyes out for not being able to properly express these things.) Nocturne looks radically different from Cata, though both are tall and thin with a heart-shaped face and longish wavyish hair (way to go with the vagueness!); where Cata is a dirty blonde, Nocturne's hair is a curtain of snow, and her eyes are a cross between the red of old blood and the red of new rose buds. Cata's eyes are leaf-green.

I don't feel like doing Cata's complete bio right now...and I still haven't figured out what Nocturne is, or what Umbra is (or rather, I know what Umbra is, I just don't know how or why it is), or what either of them have to do with Zyn and Imbrium. I did draw pictures of them, though. Much fun with my black marker, though I do have issues with pulling of the cap. (Either I struggle with it for ten minutes, or I pull the whole thing off- cap, tip, and the roll of dye-injected cotton inside. Great potential for a very large mess, that. But it's such a nice black...) Nocturne is very un-colorful. Imbrium is very colorful. Like, turquoise blue, navy blue, and bright pink colorful. And that's just his face. I haven't gotten around to figuring out what the rest of him looks like.

It's just...interesting. I've been inundated with snippets of scenes and information and images; it's a creative flood of biblical proportions, that's what it is. And that worries me, because that means it will probably never get written. Hopefully I'll be able to channel some of this creativity into starting it properly, but I've already tried, and it hasn't worked well. I need to learn to write properly, you know. I still haven't figured out how. (Sad, ain't it?)

On the other hand, it's a hell of a lot of fun to be awash in information like this. Day dreaming has always been one of my favorite occupations, you know. And that's essentially what it is- what any of my stories are. Rather long, involved day dreams; products of a distracted mind. ;)

No comments: