Thursday, August 22, 2002

Okay, this rambles and doesn't go anywhere and gets kind of weird in places

A little bit of DDD (the NaNoWriMo thing) babble:
I absolutely loved writing everything from Anya's point of view. I know, this is nearly a year later, but I am planning on doing the NaNo again, and I'm thinking that I really ought to finish what I started last year. Anyway.

The thing about Anya is that she's just very easy for me to write; I can relate to her easily as a character, and at the same time I was able to distance myself from her a little more than I usually do. I've gotten so used to writing characters that I've been developing for years and years that I know them almost too well- writing Anya was refreshing because I didn't know her at all. Who she was and what she was doing was as much a mystery to me as it was to anyone else. Writing in her voice was a little like hearing someone else telling me their story in my head.

Hey, I've been having conversations with myself for as long as I can remember- literally. If anybody wants to tell me I ought to be institutionalized, you're some fourteen years too late.

I liked writing Anya because she's a little different than my usual main characters- she has no knowledge of her own abilities, but as she becomes more aware of them, she doesn't want them. Anya is very much the reluctant heroine; she didn't even want to become a doctor, and she especially had no intentions of becoming a Somnist, and when Entropy showed up and told her she would have to save the world, well, Annie really just wanted to tell the little sprite to fuck off. Or she would have, but things happened to fast for her to realize that she wanted no part in the greater plan of things. Normally my characters will gladly take up their burdens and save the world; it's what they do. Annie only said yes because she was lied to and pressured into helping Entropy and Retribution. The only thing she wanted was to have Zach healthy, and to have her life return to normal.

But somehow outside forces took control of her life and in the end she was recruited to help save the world (roughly; it's a little bit more complicated than that- or so I like to think). When Zach came down with DDD, she lost the one thing in her life that was really hers- I guess I did an almost Romeo and Juliet-ish thing with them; the doomed lovers syndrome. Fate and Chaos have controlled her life from the beginning, and she only just starts to realize this when Bonhomme shows up. (I know, I didn't post that part in veradicere; it happens much later. He's a rat bastard whose dreams come true; only dreams rarely make sense, and his are typical in that respect. He's indirectly responsible for the death of over six million people because he had a dream in which a HomeShip disappeared. He woke up, it was gone.)

I suppose it's funny how I can analyze these things so much later; I wasn't thinking of the whole Fate aspect when I was writing it, but now I realize it's true.

Anyway. The thing that I really liked about Anya was that she managed to be very human; a tired, grieving, nail-biting, pottery-throwing, petty, loving, recovering human. The reason I really want to finish DDD is because I still don't know what's going to happen; when the final confrontation finally happens, Anya could follow Entropy and Retribution's plan like a good little drone, but I don't think she will. She certainly doesn't want to.

The only problem is that the section that I've written up to involves stuff from Leto's point of view, and he's a hell of a lot harder to write, especially when he angsts, which is what he does towards the end. But he does angst so very prettily, so I'll forgive him, I suppose.

No comments: