Monday, September 02, 2002

I'm feeling so completely uninspired right now that it really isn't funny. I tried to work on Boffo this afternoon, but in the end I gave up; the room keeps tilting to the side, and I really don't like it when my current location decides to turn itself on its ear.

A friend of my mom's died today; she had cancer, but mom was talking with her and having lunch with her a week ago. She was feeling better then.

Apparently, she slid downwards so quickly no one could stop it. And then she was gone.

...She had a son named AJ, who was a friend of the brothers; I never knew her well, but I remember her.

It's...difficult. To express in words. In anything, really. If the sun made a right angle turn halfway up the sky, what would you do? What could you do? Would it really matter? That the sun no longer set in the west, but took a wrong turn and ended up north? Or south?

Would it really matter?

I've never really liked contemplating death...not of actual people, actual living things. My own death...doesn't interest me. Neither does yours. Nor does the death of Mother Theresa, or George Burns or anyone else. The deaths of three thousand people at the World Trade Center...well, that's a slightly different matter. That was the death of a number. Numbers can die, and we can feel simple, abstract horror. Individual deaths are so much more personal...but no more real.

What's real are the living people who remain after a death. A dead body isn't real anymore. A corpse is a non-person. If you woke up tomorrow morning, and you were the last living creature on the planet, what would you do? If you were all alone, suddenly and completely, what would you do?

I would make myself breakfast- pancakes, maybe waffles. Something fancy, with eggs and butter and sugar. Fresh fruit, too. Then, I'd go back to sleep.

I doubt that I'd wake up.

...I think I'll stop now. It's...a little too difficult right now. And the room just tilted the other way.

But really, I'd be fine.

No comments: