Wednesday, April 24, 2002

"Mr Black? If you'll come this way, sir, number 37 is ready to see you."

Kieran ran a nervous hand through the black half of his hair, brushing it out of his eyes long enough to get a good look at the anonymous intern who waited in the doorway. She had nice legs, he decided after a moment, but those were probably the only asset she'd used to get the job. Easy secretaries were a dime a dozen in this building. He stood and followed her down the narrow hallway.

It's been nineteen years since El died...and I find out only a week ago that he left it all to me. All of it. Every illegal bribe, every mistreated child, every dark and dirty little secret had been dumped on his head, and now he had to deal with them. And he was starting here, with the darkest and dirtiest secret of all. But Uncle El never wanted these kids to be mistreated...kids. Hah. They're all at least as old as me...

The intern held open an antique wooden door leading into a tiny, cell-like room. A girl- no, a woman, sat at the tiny tinted window, watching the world go by outside. Kieran felt his stomach clench in horror. She was swaddled in layers and layers of clothing to protect her from the cold and to keep her delicate skin from bruising. Her eyes were wide and pale and her pupils were hugely dilated; the lights in the room were off and the window was tinted to protect her sensitive sight.

"Chiara Ellis, number 37. I'll leave you here to speak with her, Mr Black." The aide closed the door behind her, leaving Kieran alone with the subject.

"Hello." Her voice was whispery soft and hoarse. "I'll be seeing you again, won't I?"

He nodded, his mouth dry. She didn't look surprised. "I've seen you before. When I close my eyes. And I hear your name when I sleep. I hear it spoken by the dead and the living and it makes my head hurt to listen to it. I know who you are."

Kieran felt very, very cold suddenly. "Who am I?"

She placed a gloved hand against the clouded window pane. "My brother."

He froze. So the project was a success- how old was I then, four? No older than that, when they came after me with needles and knives. And they never told me I'd helped them create this...this thing. They'll pay for this. Fuck Uncle El's wishes, they'll pay for doing this to me- and to her... "Chiara, does the name Ellis Black mean anything to you?"

Her pale eyes took on a dreamy quality. "He showed me the stars...but I can't see them so well anymore. He told me to wait for you, that you would take me outside again. I would like that. Will you let me go outside?"

Kieran nodded decisively. "Yeah. Yeah, I'll get you out of here. It might take me a little while, but I'll get you out of here." I'll get us both out of here.

No comments: