Sunday, April 07, 2002

Mm, new obsession: Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Champion". *drools* Oh, blessed All, the storytelling! His characters are a little bit distant, but the storytelling is effin' in-credible.

All writers have their strengths and their weaknesses; some of them can't make you believe a character to save their soul, but their stories and plots are intricate and well thought out enough that we don't care. And others get their dialogue to be so snappy and witty and perfect that we don't mind their plotholes, and some, the rare, the genius, get it all. The characters that are sympathetic and human, yet still heroic and stately, the plots that wrap you up in their bondage-like twists and turns, and the sort of storytelling prose that you'd expect from a bard. I think I've found one of those- and it's fifteen novels long. *dies of happiness* I've only got the first two, and I've finished one and am making headway into the second and I am in love.

It's the sort of epic fantasy/sci fi that's up there with Tolkein in the scale of it's sweeping grandeur and complexity- at least in my opinion. (Not that that counts for much, you know, but still...) Beautiful prose, wonderful story...*sigh* Yay. And I *heart* Renark von Bek...just because. And Asquiol. Even if his name does sound like "a sqeal!". Sh. Let me giggle fangirlishly about a decidedly unfangirlish bunch of books, 'kay? It makes me happy. *happyhappy* I have Books. Let there be joy.

No comments: