Thursday, June 26, 2003

So, went and saw The Hulk on Monday, went and saw Finding Nemo last night.

Nemo was better, but only because it was two thirds the length of Hulk and was much, much prettier. Hulk was like watching a comic book, which was amusing and nifty for the first half hour, but then they started to get a bit carried away with the sliding panels and double viewpoints.

And that helicopter scene? So. Totally. Unnecessary. They could have cut it down to five seconds, and we'd have gotten the point; instead it went on for two minutes and we all just sat and stared at the screen, wondering when the hell it was going to end.

I'd have liked it if it weren't so feckin' long.

Went with Bo and Sonya and Felix; we decided that Hulk is really a sea cucumber of doom, and his father is a starfish...no wonder the guy has issues. Fear the sea cucumber!

Also, the pants? They are Super Pants, to have been able to survive all that stretching. The movie was secretly a Dockers commercial in disguise; Nice Pants and all that jazz.

Twice we were yelled at to shut the fuck up. Twice. I've never been told to shut up in a movie before- but then, I've never had in depth discussions about sea cucumbers and anger management in a movie before.

It was silly, but very long. And from a critic's point of view, it was awful; there was no coherency of plot, no central villain or theme to hold the movie together. The last twenty minutes were tacked on just for the sake of one last fight scene, and were as unnecessary as the helicopter scene.

I did like the very end, though, in South America. That amused me. The rampant destruction of Redwood Forests and the Grand Canyon, on the other hand, did not. The French poodle amused me. The gamma rays did not. When you sit four ubergeeks in a row and make them watch a movie whose concept depends on the belief that gamma rays will do funky things to sea cucumbers, you are going to get some very loud protestations- mostly from Bo, who was outraged by the broken laws of physics and the basic tenets of chemistry.

D'oi. My biggest gripe was with the special effects- particularly the ones done with cheap photosho filters. I could've done better on Lulu- emboss, pointililze, invert. So very simple.

Bleh. Being incoherent. The parent wishes me to get off the computer and go watch a random subtitled movie with her. Every time she says something, it throws me off.

Anyway. Nemo. Cute. Pointless. Pretty. Also slightly too long, and Marlin was disgustingly annoying and rather unsympathetic. (Just like Harry Potter!) Liked Dory, though. And Gill. Gill rocked. I may do a sketch of Gill as a human, because he rocked that much. Also loved the turtles. "Dude, offspring. Offspring, Jellyman." *snicker* Groovy.

I'm of the opinion that Pixar is evil incarnate, but they still do very pretty things. I just wish they weren't killing off classical animation; Dreamworks can't compete with Disney, even though I think they do a better job with their animated features most of the time...

Or maybe I just wish I owned Road to El Dorado. That's always a possibility.

Meh. Being random. Can't wait to see League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Pirates of the Carribbean. Still waiting for a good movie this summer, you see. Haven't seen one yet, and it disappoints me.

No comments: