Sunday, June 22, 2003

Read Fake vol 1 this morning instead of Harry Potter; saved Potter for this afternoon. Fake didn't require the attention span or the dedication to read...and I think I may have enjoyed it more. Because it's not like they can ****SPOILERSPOILER**** in the first book of something, unlike in some series I could name...*is very bitter and will be pouting and harping on about this for the rest of the summer*

So, Fake. Yes, yes, I'm a very silly and wacked little girl- but I have always been something of a closet fan of police dramas (see the Law & Order addiction) and that's essentially what Fake is...just toss in pretty art, occasional bad Engrish, and the fact that the primary love interest of the main character happens to be his partner, who happens to be a very confused and vaguely ditzy blond man...and there you have it.

Aw, shaddup. It's pretty. Like, really pretty. And Dee is snarky and badass while Ryo is adorable and spastic, and even if they are somewhat stereotyped and very random, they're cute. And it's all very pretty. *droooool* Preeeeety.

I like the characters. I like the fact that there is an actual plot in each of the episodes, and it doesn't revolve around Dee trying to get into Ryo's pants- that happens because of the plot, but isn't the end-all be-all to the whole thing. I like that there are allusions to Dee's dark and angsty past while he remains a remarkably cheerful, snarky, and amusing character. And Ryo is adorable without being cloying or overly feminine. I like that they get into an argument over the definition of bi, and that they bicker like a married couple.

Blah. I like it. It amuses me in my squeaky fangirl little way. I should've waited until after finishing HP to read it, though- it might have helped to diffuse the awful feeling of hoplessness and sorrow that hung around my head after that particular experience.

Sweet Goddess above and below, Ms Rowling, what were you thinking?

*scurries off to look at pretty pictures again*

No comments: