Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Kill the City

New webcomic. Still drooling over the art; very clean, strong lines and coloring skills that I only wish I had. Very Bebop-esque; sort of like a cross between Lex and Faith. The artist is only 16, and that makes me very sad. I absolutely love that disjointed style- I first saw it in D101 and I've wished I could draw like that ever since. (It's gotten to the point where I really can't stand traditional anime art; I know they're considered hacks, but I love the blending of western and Japanese comic art that's in vogue right now. Of course, the artists in question are usually male, which means that they distort the female figure to the point where it's just plain disgusting. *sigh* Stupid boys.) And, of course, black and white is one of my favorite medias, only I suck at it. Alas. Color helps hide mistakes, but doing things in black and white requires a good grasp of light sources and things like that. You know, things I haven't developed to my own satisfaction yet. *doublesigh*

I need to take an art class.

Already adoring the characters- this one isn't shounen ai, for once. It could be, but I don't think it will be. I love Wade's hair, and Sloane's suspenders. There's just something about the button down shirt and suspenders that seems inherently sexy no matter what. Man or woman, doesn't matter- still sexy. Mm, suspenders.

Alas for my lack of talent. *shrug* Just keep plugging away, and eventually something good will come of it, I guess.

...I suddenly feel the urge to read Hyperion again. Just because of the Tesla trees, you know, and the Church of Pain. And Keats, of course. I should actually read the poem, and the last book. Maybe I should try to draw the Shrike, or Rhadamantha Nemesis. *shiver* Now there's evil, right there.

The second book was so much better than the first or the third, but the evolution of the world that took place between the second and third is just fascinating. And the first book is cool because it just rocks out stylistically, and because it sets up everything. I do love how the Catholic Church is so completely and utterly evil, though.

Look, I still babble when I'm actually awake- only now I pay a little more attention to sentence structure.

No comments: