Sunday, March 02, 2003

Nazca? Oh. My. GAD.

I'm officially in love with whomever is responsible for the Warrior character designs. Mmm, Incan spandex. With feathers! The normal characters don't thrill me much (aside from Shinri and Tate and, to a certain extent, Dan) but the Warriors- excuse me as I mop up the drool. :)

I'm also in love with whomever is responsible for the complete lack of comprehension within the entire thing. NOTHING MAKES SENSE!!! NOTHING! I love it! Dan and the mop! Dan in general! The skateboarders! Daimon's glasses, and Tate's hair! Kyoji's family- they make no sense! At all! And then they all ran off to Peru, and NOBODY BATTED AN EYE. PERU! From Japan! There is no sense! G'wahahahahahahaHA!

*deep breath* Whew. Sorry. THE INCA RUINS MADE NO SENSE!!! *cough* Now I'm done. No, really.

So, the characters? Not bad, considering that nothing makes sense. Kyoji is clueless and in denial; Tate, Shinri, Daimon, the random girl, even Aquira- they're all so. very. Eeeevil. Especially Shinri. Oh, so evil. Tate comes in at a close second in terms of sheer Evil, but Shinri takes the cake with his purple hair and creepy eyes and demented smile. Oh, the evil. It's worse than FFTactics in terms of "Gee, look at me, I'm all alone against the minions of hell and damn there are a lot of minions in hell". Hell, it's worse than Tactics in terms of the "Wow, my best friend, two brothers, teammate, and sister just stabbed me in the back and betrayed me" factor, and I didn't think that was possible. Poor, poor, Kyoji. He's got no one left but Dan, who flirts with Miyuki, who is Kyoji's sister and all of twelve years old (demented, but cute) and Yuka, who really doesn't seem all that sane, if you ask me. Not after that stunt she pulled at the lake in episode three.

Shall I start at the beginning? There's Kyoji, high school student and member of the Kendo club. There's Tate, his teacher, and Yuka, Tate's fiance. There's Daimon, Kyoji's best friend; Shinri, Kyoji's worst enemy; the creepy redhead, Shinri's girlfriend; Miyuki and Jiisan, Kyoji's family; and Dan, the random mountaneering guy that Kyoji scammed into joining the Kendo club who can't do much with a sword, but don't let him get his hands on a mop. The story? Tate goes crazy, and suddenly everyone is wearing spandex, and Kyoji falls off a cliff. Repeatedly. In spandex. And they have feathers in their hair. Big feathers. Mmm, spandex.

It doesn't make any sense at all, you know. None. The Inca backstory is all just a thin excuse to put feathers in everyone's hair, and to give them bad excuses to randomly go to Peru. It's great. But there's reincarnation, and I'm a sucker for reincarnation stories. (Even more of a sucker for spandex, but hushup anyway...) And it's pretty, very pretty, though the second episode relied far too heavily on poorly done CG with stupid camera angles and too many lens flares. It was also quite random- "Lets stay put for now, until the fog clears." "Look, the clouds!" *THUNDERCLAP, HEAVENS OPEN, INCAN CITY DESCENDS* "Doot doo doo...lets climb this spontaneously appearing staircase into these very random floating ruins because we both know there's some sort of EVIL WARRIOR OF DOOM chasing us, but of course he wouldn't be lurking in these conveniently placed SPOOKY RUINS, since they're surrounded by so many BLINDING LENS FLARES and SHINY TEXTURES." And then Kyoji fell off a cliff. Repeatedly.

Excuse me as I have far too much fun with capital letters.

And this is one of those rare cases wherein I'm not the only one noticing the slashyness. When Kyoji was blabbing about how much he respected Tate, Yuka was all "It's a really good thing you're not a girl." And Shinri's Tate's bitch, without a doubt. *shudder* Creepy, he is. Daimon, too; he's everyone's bitch, if you ask me. *snort* Nowhere near as bad as Shinri, of course, I don't think that's possible, but there's definitely some subtext between him and Kyoji- or at the very least, between Orehon and Bilka. It's ridiculous, and delightfully silly, and I love it.

I actually don't hate Yuka, even though she is voiced by Megumi Hayashibara, and I don't particularly like Megumi Hayashibara (hides from wrathful otaku) given her performance as Faye on Bebop- she's the reason I can't watch the subtitled version of Bebop, actually. But she doesn't bother me so much as Yuka, which is fortunate. And Yuka redemed herself after jumping into the lake and coming out all Semi-Evil. That, and Aquira's design is damn-nifty, as was the astral traveling thing she pulled off to bitch at Tate.

Ye gods, and the music! The music, the music, the music! When it's not stupid sounding, it's utterly fantabulous, all classical instrumental and beautiful or vaguely South American sounding with mountain flutes. And the opening theme is Fugue in G minor, performed by Eccentric Opera. The opening theme is really what decided me on the whole series, despite the silliness and lack of sense. Any series that uses Fugue in G minor as it's opening theme automatically kicks ass.

Y'know the opening for Malcom in the Middle? Y'know those random anime sequences, the one with the grinning guy in the rain, and the skateboarder? Those are from Nazca. The grinning guy is Shinri, and the skateboarder got his ass kicked quite soundly by Tate when Tate was doing the creepy "I am Warrior, feel my Iryatesse wrath! Bwa ha, $k8R boi!" No, really, that's exactly what he did.

So, yeah. Nazca. Me like. Will perhaps draw fanart of Yawaru, as he is damnsexy with the feathers in his hair, or of Evil!Shinri, as he is creepy no matter what costume he's wearing. Not Kyoji or Bilka, though, because they're just silly. *giggle* Well, really, how could I not like a series that centers around swordfighting and boys in spandex to further its plot? Incan spandex, no less. :D I'm so going to have ridiculous amounts of fun with this series...(But poor, poor Kyoji, getting his arse soundly thrashed in every episode...)

No comments: