Friday, May 23, 2003

Wow. Winamp just pulled Wasshu on a song by Spock's Beard. *snicker*

...And it's a pretty fucking cool song, too. Random Shite! *splees all over keyboard*

Hah. I just dripped tabouleh on a student loan express form. Oops. That's what happens when you go eastern for two days in a row; wednsday was yummy yummy lebanese food (kibbeh for me and kabob for mum), yesterday was indian, from the place behind mcdonalds. the father and i shared some sort of vegetarian thing, a chicken thing, a sizzling thing, soup, and lots of bread. he kept threatening to fling the mango custard about with a spoon- it was the perfect consistency. had to restrain him and force him to eat his rice pudding quietly. my clothes still smell of curry, including my jacket, and must be thouroughly scoured now.

speaking of scouring...our house is clean. like, squeaky clean. it's bizarre. ...Oh, look, winamp pulled Jack on Rest Stop. (It sounds like I'm speaking in some sort of strange, cryptic code, doesn't it?) That's not really appropriate, but hey, why not.

...actually, it isn't appropriate at all, but Rest Stop is one of those songs that has a special place for me- all of Mad Season does, really, but Rest Stop, Bent, and The Burn in particular. Why? Mmm...hard to say. Bent was the one they played on the radio all summer, and that was a summer to remember though I can't remember why. I have so many intense musical memories from that year- so many songs just played in the background all the time. Bent was one of those songs, and it made me want to throw back my head and scream in ecstacy. It made my spine want to wrap around my skull and squeeze. ...just thinking about it makes me shiver- but after hearing it often enough, I eventually became immune to its mind warping properties...heh.

I remember waking up the first day of orientation for band camp, shaking nervous. So I listened to Rest Stop on repeat play, and it...didn't exactly make things better, but it put them in a different perspective, I suppose. It's a soothing song, almost, if you ignore the words.

Otherwise, it's another 'me' song, for obvious and not so obvious reasons.

Here are lyrics:

Just three miles from the rest stop
And she slams on the breaks
She said I tried to be but I'm not
And could you please collect your things
I don't wanna be cold
I don't wanna be cruel
But I gotta find more
Than what's happening with you
If you'd - open up the door

She said - while you were sleeping
I was listening to the radio
And wondering what you're dreaming when
It came to mind that I didn't care
So I thought - hell if it's over
I had better end it quick
Or I could lose my nerve
Are you listening - can you hear me
Have you forgotten

Just three miles from the rest stop
And my mouth's too dry to rage
The light was shining from the radio
I could barely see her face
But she knew all the words that I never had said
She knew the crumpled-up promise of this
Broken down man - and as I opened up the door

She said - while you were sleeping
I was listening to the radio
And wondering what you're dreaming when
It came to mind that I didn't care
So I thought - hell if it's over
I had better end it quick
Or I could lose my nerve
Are you listening - can you hear me
Have you forgotten

She said - while you were sleeping
I was listening to the radio
And wondering what you're dreaming when
It came to mind that I didn't care
So I thought - hell if it's over
I had better end it quick
Or I could lose my nerve
Are you listening - can you hear me
- "Rest Stop", Matchbox 20

...gah. It pulled dancer on Building a Mystery. I could do things with that. (Some day I'll write a dancer fic, someday...)



No comments: