Monday, May 19, 2003

So anyway, it's been awhile, but I blame Ragtime. I blame Ragtime for lots of things, but mostly for the fact that I now hear the music in my sleep.

Tried to sleep last night, without any other music playing. It didn't work. I can not fall asleep in my own bed without music in the background, or some sort of white noise. Can't do it. It didn't work. Had to turn on Jason Mraz, and I was out before he got to The Remedy. I think. I don't really remember. I was sleeping.

Dreamed, but I can't recall what I dreamed, only that it frightened and disturbed me, and the same frightening and disturbing monologue that was going through my head at the twilight of sleep was still there in the morning, while I washed my hair and brushed my teeth.

No details, not here...but it disturbed me a bit, because it was my voice impersonating someone else and doing it rather well. How odd. How curious. How strange. I should have written it down, but it didn't feel like something that could be written down. Maybe pieces of it will appear here, at a later date.

So now, I give you Crowded House:

Walking 'round the room singing Stormy Weather
at 57 Mount Pleasant Street
Now it's the same room but everything's different
You can fight the sleep but not the dream

Things ain't cookin' in my kitchen
Strange afflictions wash over me
Julius Caesar and the Roman Empire
Couldn't conquer the blue sky

There's a small boat made of china
Going nowhere on the mantlepiece
Do I lie like a loungeroom lizard
Or do I sing like a bird released

Everywhere you go you always take the weather with you
Everywhere you go you always take the weather
Everywhere you go you always take the weather with you
Everywhere you go you always take the weather,
Take the weather, the weather with you
-------

Because yes, the lyrics very rarely make much sense, but we love Neil Finn for them anyway, even if he was a bastard and broke up the band before I could rediscover them and even if "Hole in the River" could have been a much cooler, spookier, deeper song if he'd ommited the word "auntie". This song, though, I like. The lyrics amuse me, and the whole concept of the song pleases me. Especially the loungeroom lizard...:)

I'd put John Mayer here too, if it didn't seem sacriligious to place him anywhere near Crowded House. Not that Mr Mayer doesn't have superior song writing skills (though I base this only on the little that I've seen and heard, my modem isn't fast enough for me to download any great quantity of CH and it's literally impossible to find any CDs outside of large stores in New York, or Norway.) but it would just feel wrong to have the two in such close contact. So I'll save "Neon" for later. Because it's a good song, but not one that complements Weather With You very well, in my mind.

Woo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

¡Es la primera vez que visito su sitio y lo encuentro realmente interesante! Bravo!

consultation voyance gratuite