Friday, September 23, 2005

thoughts on roleplaying

Tana is going to start calling herself "Tanavir of the Northern Sands," just to confuse the southerners who think there's nothing but snow to the north. Dealing with Can'deshi and Midling culture clashes in the intro today was hilarious; it didn't help that Tana decided to adopt ("keep" or "collect" would be more accurate) the gnomes and halfling in the new party, because she decided they were tiny and cute.

If I really wanted to be true to the character, I would play Tana as a much angrier, more suspicious, and more reserved person. On the other hand, sometimes it takes a very outspoken and flamboyant character to evoke reactions from the rest of the group. So I don't really mind cowing the entire group into submission with a godlike intimidate check and then shouting about missing weapons and stupid southerners- but it really is a little out of character for Tana.

Not, of course, that you would be able to tell it's out of character; I play her more or less the same now as I did starting out, if a bit sillier. (I forget myself so easily when gaming. I never realize my actions could be construed as powergaming 'til after the fact, unfortunately- I blame my having learned from my brothers, who were the twinkiest twinks to ever twink out a character. My one consolation is that I'm not playing a monk.) It wouldn't have been conducive to the plot for her to simply attack the new players, even if that's what she probably should have done. Attack first, ask questions later, once you've gotten them tied up- that's the Can'deshi way. Well, one way, at any rate. There are others that usually involve some amount of sex or grievious bodily harm.

Tana is fun to play as the slightly psychotic, packrat character she is now. She'll probably be a bit more wary of the new people in the future, but at the moment she's fairly convinced she can either kick their asses or con/coerce them into doing what she wants. It's worked fairly well so far, in her opinion.

I'm very hopeful for this year; if we can maintain the dynamic we had at today's meeting, it will be frickin' awesome. I'm a little sad that so many of our old people couldn't return, but I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the oneshots once they start happening.

Oh, roleplaying. I loves you so good, I does.

No comments: