Sunday, September 04, 2005

For the love of cheese, Blogger!

Testing, wot wot?

That lovely pair of eyes belongs to Gennosuke of the anime/manga Basilisk, funky coloring by yours truly. The layout still needs tweaking (if, by tweaking, one means beating with a stick, of course), but I think it's finally doing what I want it to, for the most part. I don't understand why my coding never quite works. I should probably take a class or get an actual book on it, but as far as I can tell, everything I've done is standards compliant. *sigh* It's true that I'm too lazy to build a layout from scratch, but I'm thinking I ought to give it a try. The original layout this current one is modified from had some atrociously messy code; I may not always be able to get my own alterations to work, but at least I know which tags go where.

Basilisk comes out next June; the manga is being put out by Del Rey and the anime by Funimation. The manga is five volumes long (but don't quote me on that) and the anime is 26 episodes; unless the translators keep the manga in its full, bloody, unedited glory, I doubt I'll pick it up.

In other news...I'm rereading Shibumi, since it's still one of my favorite books ever (I dearly want the new edition, because it has a Go board on it and looks absolutely lovely)- but some of the shine has worn off. The first part, dealing with the CIA screwup, is still as delightfully snarky as ever, but the section devoted to Nikko's childhood reads like a Mary Sue fanfic written by a first year Asian Studies major focusing in Zen and Japanese culture.

Is this going to keep me from quoting all the anti-imperalist bits or from kicking Volvos? Hell no. But I may skip through the cherry trees in Japan to the explosions in the Basque mountains. Alas, I am so shallow, and so easily amused. :)

No comments: