Tuesday, January 07, 2003

So, yeah, I am a sucker for happy, smoochy endings. But I can't seem to be able to write one.
I had one, for a moment. It was all happy and smoochy and silly yesterday. But it's changed, and now I just need to work the kinks out in my head.

Oh, it's still happy. It just doesn't end with an "And then he kissed her." Things really shouldn't end that way, although I think that's just my cynical side speaking. Instead, it's ending with a game of chess. A very, very cliched game of chess. I'm almost as ashamed of this as I was of the "And then he kissed her." More ashamed, even. My one excuse (two excuses, really) is that I couldn't let that character die. And that everybody does the good/evil chess match at some point or another. *sweatdrop* Don't they?

(All these movies are making me think in circles. I'm never going to think of "The Three Faces of Eve" without a shudder now, because of "Far From Heaven". Somebody give me a cookie for that reference, why doncha. Two, because I've never actually seen "Eve", though I know what it's about, and because I really want a cookie. *sigh*)

"I do believe, my dear, that I've won the game."
"Have you? I find that hard to believe, though sacrificing your knight towards the end was a rather masterful move. Sacrificing yourself was simply foolish, of course."
"What can I say? You were always better at strategy. I disagree that my knight was sacrificed, mind you. Sacrifices generally die."
"You call that alive? He may have won you the game, but he'll be paying the price of your manipulation for the rest of his life- a life that will be unnaturally long, thanks to you."
"You could have backed down. Conceded gracefully and all that."
"You could have done the same."
"Let's not point fingers and name names, beloved."
"Let's not kiss ass while we've still got a mouth to do it with, hmm?"
"Testy, are we? So you captured my knight. Gloat, if you'd like. My king captured yours before the final battle even started. He's mine, and you can't have him back."
"I rather think that the most important pieces on this board belong to each other- even working in tandem, we'd have a hard time separating them, now."
"I rather think you're right, my dear."
"Do stop pretending to be civilized. It's unsettling."
"Then by all means, let's act as uncivilized as possible."
-A table left abandoned, hanging in empty space. Tiny figurines go about their business, ignored by god and the devil for the moment.-

Of course, you'll have to figure out which one's which...and this is just dialogue, unpolished and badly ordered. I'm not sure I like the idea so much anymore, since it is so very cliche, but...it would fit. *dillemma* Ah, well. It won't be long now, before I force myself to post it, just for the sake of having it done.

Never any promises, though. That would be unseemly. ;)

No comments: