Sunday, January 19, 2003

It has come to my attention that nearly everything I write is based on a clash of opposite extremes. If there's light, there's gotta be dark; if there's fire, there's water; when you've got earth, there must be air; someone represents fire, it's a sure bet someone else will be ice. I'm not exactly sure what this means about me- but I've been doing this unconsciously in all of my fantasy based stories.

With Boffo, you've got the angels vs. the demons. In Seventh Hour, it's all fire/male ice/female with that hero/goddess archetype thrown in just to make things interesting. In Song of Silence, each main character has an elemental attribute. Conflict of extremes. The main plot point usually has something to do with resolving that conflict, or eliminating it.

Maybe I'm trying to write the eternal clash between good and evil, but I don't think I even believe in the eternal clash between good and evil. I'm much more of a 'shades of gray' kinda gal- or so I like to think. I don't even know anymore.

This doesn't have anything to do with anything, it's just an observation. I don't write much of anything other than fantasy/sci-fi, so I can't really observe this phenomenon in my other stuff. The only thing that comes to mind is Sunny Hill, and not only have I not really written any of that, but it doesn't exactly have a plot, either. Currently it's gonna be a collection of vignettes...but I might get smacked by a plot at some point. *shrug* I dunno. I just thought it was interesting to note.

No comments: