Wednesday, November 20, 2002

More music related posts, I know you're thrilled...

Went and saw Nickel Creek last night with KE- absofeckin'luely awesome. As in, I am filled with awe. Two and a half hours of music, two encores, banter and mocking of Princeton, and Chris Thile on an electric mandolin. Let me repeat that last one: Chris Thile on an electric mandolin.

I swear, he was going to twitch himself in two directions at once and fall apart on stage. "Energetic" doesn't quite describe him; "spastic", maybe, or "on crack" would be better- and come on, how many of you have heard someone play an electric mandolin? Absolutely amazing.

And Sarah Watkins on fiddle- I want to be her when I grow up. (Never mind that she's only a few years older than me- hushup.) Her brother, too- Sean, on guitar- *drooling*. So. Much. Talent.

And they bantered, and it was hilarious, and wonderful, and I really don't have the words to describe the utterly ecstatic glee I was experiencing during the whole thing. So. Feckin'. Awesome. (New word, sorry.)

It's not enough that they played In the House of Tom Bombadil and started dueling on stage (Sarah and Chris, with his nose in the air, dancing in circles- *g'aaaahh!*), or that they played Reasons Why in the first five songs or that they played a song about "As Good as it Gets", which just happens to be one of my favorite movies ever (And Chris gave it a disclaimer, first! It was cute! And silly! And bizarrely twisted and cool!), but they played a cover of "Don't Dream It's Over".

Random and obscure fact: I had to go to Norway to find Crowded House's first album. That song has been my favorite song since I was five, and I can't even explain all the many, many reasons why. Suffice to say that hearing that song makes me indescribably happy- and here we are at this bluegrass/pop concert, having heard songs about manic depressive lighthouses and women who leave their husbands to sail away only to have the ship sink, and then suddenly, after a bunch of people in the audience scream "You're a decomposing whale!" (seriously, that's what it sounded like), and after Sarah made a random comment about someone named Glen, they started playing that song. My song.

Yes, I squeaked. Loudly. As in, whole-theatre-mostly-quiet-except-for-the-squeaky-girl-in-the-balcony loudly. (We had kick ass seats. First row balcony kind of kick ass.) I was just- shocked. And so very, very happy. I mean, who would have thought I'd be hearing this obscure hit from 1986 at a Nickel Creek concert? I'm still giggle-happy over it, even now, a whole day later.

*squeals* Awesome! I don't even know half of the things they played- but dad bought Chris and Sean's solo albums, which is very, very cool. Must make copies and such to distribute to the masses! *cackle* Or, just KE. Whichever, you know. :)

(Ach, highly random and vaguely disturbing- Krista knew about Nickel Creek, but Krista is a crazy talented folk singer anyway, so naturally she would know about Nickel Creek. But the only other person below the age of 50 that I know who knew about NC before I introduced it to them...is Glen. *bangs head against wall* Why, fate, must you be so random and cruel?! Eh, well. *glee*)

Website is here. (Yes, I was wrong, they're a lot older than I thought they were, and Sean is older than Sarah...blah blah blah, yadda yadda- they're still ridiculously talented. And Chris' sideburns amuse me almost as much as his twitching did. :D)

They were just so very cool. *dies of happiness* *sigh* Joy...

No comments: