Monday, October 21, 2002

I'm in a post-apocalyptic mood right now. Been reading some of these. Good stuff. Highly amusing. When I get around to updating vd (i did have to choose an acronym that also doubles as the acronym for venereal disease, didn't i?) I will link it and all related sites. Very good stuff. (Am now obsessed with Egyptian lore again. Still obsessed with space pirates. Borderline obsession with Osiris. Definitely in love with Ray. Maybe it's the other way around. Haven't decided yet.)

Still. "And we all know how hard it is to find TNT in a post-apocalyptic world..." May do sudden last minute costume change and do something different for my nanonovel. But this is the wrong journal for that.

Mordant and Solneki appeared in my idea journal the other day in a play format. I generally don't try to write plays- I'm bad enough at general writing. But I was in the mood to describe little details in clothing and scenery without having to worry about boring exposition. There was a room, and a rolltop desk, and three numbers scratched in red ink on the surface. How Mordant went from being an Abercrombie and Fitch reject with a flanel shirt to some sort of scruffy mercenary with a bandana (of course he has a bandana- how could he not have a bandana?) I'll never know. And I'm not even going to touch what happened to Solneki (whose name means absolutely nothing, I just like the way it sounds)- androgynous looking business man with glasses to...whatever he is now. I'm not sure what he is now.

Hell, he's not sure what he is now, and in general, my characters know more about themselves than I do, even the ones that pop into my head at random for a thirty second advertising spot.

Once again: still. Purple skies and shrapnel seas, oceans of once great cities laid to waste and made into endless tides of shifting ruins. Thunderheads on the horizon, with lightning flickering eternally from rotting cloudbottom to scorched plain, while the people burrow beneath the garbage, fleeing the darkness of the world above in favor of the darkness below. That's a darkness that they understand; a natural darkness caused by the simple absence of light. The darkness above, though- that's a shadow cast by something much more sinister, a shadow that survives even with the sun shining mercilessly upon it from above. Out of the debris rises new cities, new civilizations; empires built on ruin, built on graves and bones. Towering cities that cast very long shadows, indeed.

*shiver* 'Kay, that was overdramatic, overly wordy, and far too pretentious. Now I'm really in a post-apocalyptic mood. Post-apocalyptic with Eeevil, no less. I've got too many other stories on the line though. S'not fair, it really isn't! I've gotta write Boffo and Ocean Dreams and Song of Silence and a couple of other random things for my portfolio, which is due in two weeks! Don't have time for random post-apocalyptic worlds to pop into my head and demand demons and mercenaries and identity issues! Damn it!

No comments: