Sunday, October 06, 2002

Addendum to other whining that has occurred elsewhere:

Today at South Brunswick, the Coast Guard Band came and marched. At the time we thought it was just the marines, but we found out afterwards that it was the Coast Guard. This was, of course, an opportunity for much squealing from me, nevermind that Eugene graduated four years ago (ye gods, it's been a long time...and he's getting married next year! *cheers*) and I no longer know anyone in the Guard.

There's all of thirty two people in the band...but they started off with a trumpet soloist that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. There is absolutely nothing like a good trumpet soloist. Makes you shiver, makes you hot, makes your eyes go half-lidded in amazed ecstacy...even though he was facing the other direction, some hundred odd yards away, he was still incredible...and after this beautiful, mournful sounding soloist, the rest of the band joins in...playing the main theme of Star Wars.

I screamed.

One must understand that I truly am something of a geek, even though I prefer the term dork. (It soudns better rolling off the tongue, though it's probably less correct in context.) But the music from Star Wars has been some of my favorite music ever for a long time- and it was the Coast Guard band playing it (never mind that we thought they were marines). It was just the combined coolness of the moment, following that absolutely incredible trumpet soloist- I couldn't help myself. And I wasn't the only one cheering when when they started out with those three notes- I was the only one, however, to shout in a broken, squeaky voice, "Yes, I am a DORK!"

It amused Shannon, at any rate. And I think, that were this any other year, I wouldn't have done that. Maybe it was because of my anger and general bad mood- but maybe I really just don't care what people think about me anymore. I'm developing a thicker skin- and I'm not going to be afraid to be the person that I want to be anymore. For the most part. Some things are, after all, better left unsaid. Still, I'm not going to be ashamed of the fact that I like Star Wars, or of the fact that I am squeaky and ineffectual and in general annoying- it's part of who I am. I'm not going to restrain myself for anyone else's comfort, not when it comes to those things.

I am, of course, being somewhat hypocritical and am lying in several ways- but that's okay. I mean what I say, even if the sentiment isn't entirely unobstructed. But, oh...when they played Duel of Fates and The Imperial March I nearly fell off the bleachers...Utter coolness. *squeal*

No comments: