Wednesday, August 31, 2005

song call- Nickel Creek, "Somebody More Like You"

I didn't hear you say you're sorry-
The fault must be mine.
I wish you all the best of luck
At finding somebody more like you.

You said you'd love me always, truly-
I must have changed.
Cause you don't need me like you used to:
I hope you find somebody more like you.

I hope you finally find someone,
Someone that you trust,
And give him everything.
I hope you meet someone your height,
So you can see eye-to-eye
With someone as small as you.


You came out of nowhere, made me smile,
Then tore me in two,
Saying, "We're very different people."
So dear, I hope you find somebody more like you.

I hope you find somebody more like you.
-Nickel Creek, "Somebody More Like You"

I just realized that most of the songs on the new album are jaded love songs. So, now that the shine has worn off (twenty nine play throughs later), I definitely think that this album is the weakest offering they've made yet. "This Side" took a completely different turn after their first album- the music was more pop/rock, with only the barest nod to their bluegrass and traditional roots. "Why Should the Fire Die" is lateral-to-backwards movement; it lacks much of the originality and edginess of "This Side," and feels more like treacley country-pop than anything truly innovative. The group feels kind of stuck, and the whole album has a softer, darker color to its sound than the previous two.

I still love it, of course- it's Nickel Creek, and I'm generally a very loyal fangirl. I like "Somebody More Like You" for those italicized lines in the middle, and because Sean sings it instead of Chris. I've always preferred the more mellow tones of his voice to Chris's abrasiveness (or maybe I'm just obsessed with "Let it Fall." Who can say?), even if I'm not as much a fan of the angsty, just-broke-up-with-my-girlfriend-and-my-dog-is-dead lyrics and melody.

But yeah, that middle verse? Lots of love. *brittle smile*

No comments: