Sunday, August 07, 2005

Song Call- Michelle Cross, "Cold Light"

Faugh, I am le tired. And I feel as though I ought to be working on something, but I'm completely and utterly exhausted for some reason. (Also, whatever is poking my kidneys needs to stop, seriously.) I'm going to babble about music for a few entries; apologies for the spam.

These lyrics are really fairly standard fare...but the song itself is incredibly, hauntingly lovely. Most of the words are unintelligible, save for the last lines of each of the first four stanzas and the first line of the bridge. When you put those together, you end up with standard, incredibly angsty fare, but put them together on top of the really pretty, ghostly piano, and the song just gives me shivers every time I hear it.

In the cold light of day,
You decided to show your face,
And the mime dressed in black,
Said you're useless to him now.

So I turned to run away,
But there you stood in my way,
And a voice called out to me,
"Girl, you never really learned to love."

I'm still hanging on...

Now I stand in the past,
My eyes focused on the cracks,
By this time you figured out,
I'm useless to you now.

And the clock on the wall,
Says it's time for me to go,
And a voice calls out to me,
"Girl you're better off alone."

Ahh, Ahh...

And you tried to strip me of everything that's left.
In me, I still can't believe... I let you succeed.

Ahh, Ahh...

In the cool city scene,
Where I wander like a dream,
There's a mime dressed in black,
And he likes to talk a lot.

And I pass him in the street,
And a voice calls out to me,
"Girl, you're the only one you've ever got..."

Ahh, Ahh...
-Michelle Cross, "Cold Light"

It's mostly the piano that does it for me; granted, it's a little reminiscent of certain video game sound tracks, but it also conjures up images of snow, and moonless, star spattered skies. The title fits; if I ever wanted to do a soundtrack to the concept of winter light, this would be the first track.

Here, have a yousendit link: http://s52.yousendit.com/d.php?id=2252FZJSIHOG02EFYKEW0BJ6S4

No comments: