Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Untitled and unfinished revision

Song of Prayer

A friend and I were walking when we saw
Him Fall. He started as a speck of dark
No larger than a leaf, but grew into
A screaming meteor that tore the earth
To shreds. She ran back home to find the priest,
The mayor, and the coroner-- no man
Alive or dead could have survived a fall
Like that. I stayed behind to watch
Over the pit and better see its contents.
What little I could see of him from where
I stood was beautiful, though shattered earth
And broken soil obscured my view. He had
A body formed so perfectly that death
And dirt could not conceal its symmetry;
Perhaps I fell in love a little as
I waited for my friend's return; perhaps
I wondered, as I stood, how harsh and cruel
For Heaven, to eject a man like this
So forcefully. At length my friend returned
With all The town in tow; they cried out "God
Protect us!" when they saw the crater in
The ground. The priest began to pray in low
And measured tones, salvation on his lips--
But maybe it was terror when his voice
Died in his throat. "Stay back!" a voice commanded
From beneath the rubble and debris.
The others fled and I alone stood firm
As inky wings unfurled to blot the sun.
He lived, despite his fall, and he was great
And terrible but I was unafraid--
For I had heard the music of the spheres
Within my dreams: the sweet and perfect tones
Of angels who have yet to fear the Fall.
And nothing sent from Heaven, Hell or some
Place yet unknown could ever shake my faith.
"Who are you, to look on me, who once
Ruled all the western skies and over earth
And man dominion held? To such as you
I am a god- to mortal worms like you."
His face was much less beautiful when pride
Traced every line and plane; and though his voice
Was much like thunder, I was unimpressed.
"If you once ruled the western skies and kept
Watch over men and all the earth, then I
Shall have no need to fear your wrath, as now
You hold dominion over nothing but
This broken ground. I saw you, demon, saw
You fall; as beautiful and terrible
As you may be, not even you withstand
The laws put down by He who made us all.
When thrown from Heaven's doorstep even you
Will hit the ground." His eyes were full
Of fire and pride and sparks that bit the air;
His voice was full of thunder, there was fury
In his stance. "How dare you speak to me
With caustic, foolish pride--" "I dare as one
Who loves her people and her God with strength
Beyond compare. So fear me, demon, fear
My faith and leave this place." He raised his hand
As if to strike me for my insolence
And still, I felt no fear. His beauty blinded
Me for half a moment and it seemed the earth
Stood still while even heaven held its breath.
His touch put fire and pain upon my soul,
His hands were like a brand around my neck.
The light was so intense that I was sure
I had gone blind but once the light had faded
I saw with clearer eyes the scars upon
His flesh where he had tried to choke me in
His claws. His skin was blistered, raw and torn,
Burnt away by heaven's ire. And as
I watched the markings spread until they hid
His awesome beauty like a foul and loathsome
Pox. "Now heed me, demon, listen well,
Before you lose your ears to listen with.
I've warned you once and that's enough, so do
Not think to cross me. Leave this place, go far
Away and never wander here again.
Your destination lies below; you've still
A long way yet to fall. So leave this place
Before I cast you down myself." My voice
Was weak with pain but still I stood unbowed;
My faith was stronger than his hateful pride.
His pride was wounded now, his beauty broken
By a girl who was no better than
W worm to him. I raised my arms, prepared
To do more than wound his pride should he not
flee from this cursed ground. He snarled in rage
But left in fire and sulf'rous smoke and screaming,
Roaring thunder. Nothing more or less than
Complete and jarring silence filled the field.
I spoke a hasty prayer of thanks upon
The jagged stones and made my way back home.
The scars he gave me have not healed, though years
Have passed since then. They say that I must be
A saint; perhaps they are correct. I do
Not know. But if I listen in my dreams
I still can hear the music of the spheres,
As angels sing their perfect love to God.

No comments: