Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Meander

So, I bought the first season of Gargoyles (shut up shut up shut up, I know I'm still twelve, leave me alone) last week, and watched all of it over the weekend. And now I need to find some excuse to buy the second season, because damn. I'd forgotten how much I loved it. Yeah, sure, its cheesy, didactic, full of plot holes, and was very clearly made in the mid-nineties, but the power of nostalgia is strong, indeed. And the line "If you pay a man enough, he'll walk barefoot into hell" still fills me with endless, endless glee. (Naturally, Xanatos is tied with Owen as my favorite character. Mmm, evil in a suit.)

The animation is clean, if not fancy- I would say it's aged well, considering how old the series is. And, cheesiness aside (OMG, the chopper! Whose idea was that, because he needs to be beaten), the story and characters are remarkably mature for Disney. Also, I'm a nostalgia-obsessed twit, and the things that shaped my childhood have their claws sunk so deep in me, I'll need surgery to remove 'em.

So, I've been reading Gargoyles fic. Alas, there isn't that much Owen fic out there, and there is even less Hyena and Jackal fic (I have to keep telling myself I don't like incest, but ohgod, they're practically canon). And the fandom is an old one, and largely made of Mary Sues- but there is some good stuff out there. I'll probably do a recs post eventually.

In other news, I've got a good three thousand words of unfinished Silverlock fic sitting in an open post field, where it's been for the last week and a half. -_- The problem is that it's kind of angsty, and Silverlock doesn't know how to do angsty properly. He just gets lightheaded and kind of spacey- which, I'm finding, is actually pretty funny. Like most of the Foxbird fragments, this is just another thinly veiled infodump. I suppose it serves a purpose in terms of character building, but if I want to be totally objective, it's just a lot of self indulgent bloodplay and exposition. *le sigh*

Oh well. Even if things are often nonsensical or cliche, I do dearly love worldbuilding for this universe. Shaivhen in the Fourth Era is one of my favorite places to be inside my head, and I keep learning new things about it.

I do think I need to write my assassins actually being assassins. It would probably make everyone happier in the long run. I should also write up a general outline so that people know what the hell is going on- but sometimes (all the time) my plotlines embarrass me.

And beyond that, I still love One Piece and am rediscovering my love of Bleach. I tried to explain to Sonya why One Piece was just so good; I'll eventually finish up one of those half dozen or so essays on One Piece and post it. And I've rediscovered my respect for Kubo Tite, so perhaps I shall do an essay on Bleach as well.

Huzzah, useless posts!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll look forward to the recs post if/when it comes. Periodically I get the urge to go read Gargoyles fic, but I can never seem to find any of the good stuff. :/

rosi said...

Thank you very much for all your suggestions on this site. Your shares are very interesting and very enriching. Congratulations.

voyance par mail ; voyance par mail gratuite