Thursday, February 19, 2004

As of Sunday, this blog is two years old! So, to celebrate, I give you Shakespeare:

When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I summon up remembrance of things past
I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought
And with old woes new wail my dear time's waste.
Then can I drown an eye unused to flow
For precious friends hid in death's dateless night
And weep afresh love's long since cancelled woe
And moan th'expense of many a vanished sight.
Then can I grieve at grievances forgone
And heavily from woe to woe tell o'er
The sad account of fore bemoaned moan
Which I new pay as if not paid before.
But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end.

This sonnet is the essence of this journal...only I have yet to go full circle the same way the poem does.

Still, one of my favorites, just because it hits so close to home. (In case you were wondering, I had to re-memorize it. I lost it about a month after I presented it last year- Shakespeare is harder than Eliot, and I had less time to work on it.)

No comments: