Friday, March 25, 2005

Arguing about zombies naturally leads me to thinking about Stella Maeroris, and the fact that it doesn't have a plot. Sure, the backstory does, and I love the backstory, but I don't really know what happens in the second part of the story.

The Voyance hears about Stella's prophetic powers somehow- word travels fast in the Undercity, and the Voyance makes sure to have connections there, as well as in the upper city. Actually, he doesn't really concern himself with the upper city, as that's mostly inhabited by the living, and they have their own methods of policing themselves.

Originally, the Voyance was the leader of the organized crime in the city- this was before I knew who Theron was, when the entire story was just a scene between Stella and Walker at a bus stop. Walker was the Voyance's right hand man, and the Voyance was like a mafia don- the pimps and prostitutes and hitmen and drug dealers all answered to him. If people were caught trafficking in misteltoe without his go-ahead, they got knocked off by walker. If somebody didn't pay they're debts in time, Walker ripped out their internal organs.

There's still a lot of tension between the original story concept and the thing it's evolved into, and I need to work that out before I can understand where the plot is going.

It's fortunate that Theron still retains most of his Omnismith powers even after he becomes the Voyance; it means that when Walker tells him to fix all the shit he's done, he actually can. Omnismiths can do just about anything- they're godlike in that respect.

What probably happens is Theron wipes the slate clean- just starts over. With Razhia and Stella's help, he ought to be able to erase his own existence, and fix everything. It's something of a cop out, and I don't actually want to wipe him off the face of the planet- he's one of the most completely evil characters in my head (though he has his reasons), and I'm actually very fond of him. And Bren truely, deeply loves him, and would be sad without him. (Bren is straight like a really straight thing, for the record.)

I need to work more on the stupid thing, I suppose. Alas, I am lazy and obsessed with Naruto.

No comments: