Sunday, February 23, 2003

We used to stare at the sky
You and I
Wondering what it would be like to fly
We used to say
That we would fly away
Off into the wind some day
And I would never come back down

We used to wander and roam
Far from on our own
Through stream and field and mud and loam
When my world began to crack
For your feeling her lack
And insisting we turn back
How could I not blame you?
*
I would have painted you with dragons,
And cried the skies to see her smile.
When we both grew wings to fly on:
Black and white and blue and gold;
The tattered edges of my heart
Bled jealous acid in my soul.
And as my spirit grew too heavy
For wings to lift me from the ground,
I, who once ruled, have lost the sky.
But yours alone, are earth and moon
Yours alone is she, as you are hers
And I; I have nothing to call my own.

-------------------------
Two, for Cain (FFIV); because a character that has been with me for so very, very long (coming on twelve years now, I suppose...), even if he isn't my character, deserves a little something once in a while. If he weren't so difficult to write, there would be more, despite my aversion to writing fanfic. Both are from his point of view; the first, about Cecil, the second, Cecil and Rosa. I could write pages about the relationship between the three of them, but I'll spare you that. Please note, however, that they're both primarily about being jealous; first, of Rosa, for taking away his best friend and brother; second, of Cecil, for being so irritatingly perfect and for having Rosa; and third, of both of them, for having each other and everything else they ever wanted. It's the prodigal son dillemma; why does the wayward child get all the breaks when the other one gets exiled for speaking his mind? (I'll stop now, since I could go on for a while, and it's all too obscure for anyone to care; maybe some other time.)

An experiment in threes with symmetry, and again with threes and slant rhyme. Written solely because of the "...painted you with dragons" image was just too perfect to not use, and because Cain was begging for attention. Don't ask me what it means, of course; I just thought it sounded cool.

No comments: