Sunday, November 06, 2005

Writing prompt: dialogue, Boffo style

The prompt was to write pure dialogue; I've been using Boffo characters for all of my promts in this class, because they can pass for normal more easily than anyone else.

So, Tyler and Dei, and the obligatory cup of tea. God, I love my boys. (This is also the third prompt I've written involving tea. I'm starting to get predictable.)
--------------------------
"And then she says, "We should've turned left!" Get it? Turned left?"
"I'd give you a proper response, but I think my brain just shut down from the overwhelming lameness of that joke. Do you want some tea?"
"Somebody went and had their sense of humor surgically removed. What kind of tea do you have?"
"It had a malignant tumor and needed to be taken out. Oddly enough, I don't miss it. I'm making a pot of Earl Grey, but I've got some of that herbal stuff your mother-in-law sent me last Christmas."
"A malignant tumor? Like your nose?"
"No, like your face."
"Oh, you mean like your mom."
"Actually, yes. Exactly like my mom. Now, seriously, tea. What do you want?"
"Earl Grey is fine- last time I drank that herbal stuff, I was seeing purple squirrels for a week."
"Now that's a fun side effect- I just broke out in hives. I tried giving some to the cat, but she wouldn't touch it."
"Smart animal."
"Only sometimes. She still runs headfirst into the sliding door when there's another cat in the yard."
"Takes after her owner, does she?"
"God, you're obnoxious today. What's the matter, been sleeping on the couch for a week? No, don't tell me- just shut up and drink your tea."
"I'm obnoxious? Whatever. Where do you keep your sugar bowl?"
"I don't have one."
"You're kidding- I sent you one for your birthday three years ago. Now I'm hurt, and I want sugar."
"You only sent it to me so you could exactly what you're trying to do now- turn a perfectly good cup of tea into a diabetic's worst nightmare."
"You know, you should see about getting that sense of humor of yours replaced. I know a guy who knows a guy..."
"You're kidding- I sent you one for your birthday three years ago. Now I'm hurt, and I want sugar."
"You only sent it to me so you could exactly what you're trying to do now- turn a perfectly good cup of tea into a diabetic's worst nightmare. Now stop digging through my cabinets, you won't find any."
"Tell me you did not hide the sugar just because I came to visit."
"I won't tell you anything, then."
"You really are crazy, you know that?"
"Mm-hm. And just think- we're related."
"God, don't remind me. No wait- that does remind me; I'm supposed to make sure you come to this year's Family Function."
"I'd rather drink your mother-in-law's illegal psychotropic tea."
"Come on! The creepy side of the family isn't even coming, they all have other, creepy things to do."
"Then I won't be missed."
"But the non-creepy side is psychotic, and you can't leave me to face them all alone."
"You won't be alone; you're married. Your wife will protect you from our big, bad relatives."
"Yeah, but if you're there, then no one will ask us why we don't have kids yet- they'll all just bug you about being single."
"And this is supposed to encourage me, how?"
"I'll owe you one? And I won't tell Aunt Celeste the truth about her little yappy dog."
"Are you blackmailing me? God, I don't know whether to be proud or pissed off. Fine, I'll go- but you'll still owe me, and you're not allowed to murder another cup of tea in my presence again."
"Done."
"Alright, then."
"Good. Can I have the sugar now?"
"No."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Has Dei EVER gotten laid?