Monday, November 07, 2005

"Control" Kankurou/Gaara

I think it would help if I weren't so dehydrated my eyeballs are threatening to secede from my skull holes. o_0

I dislike this Kankurou; he's rather creepy. On the other hand, I like the idea of this Kankurou- I just can't stand the way I wrote him. But now all I have to do is edit each fragment and the series will be done- and by "each fragment," I mean "this one," since the other two are in a place that almost makes me happy. It's been so bloody long since I finished anything; this will be an enormous relief.
--------

"Control"

The slightest twitch of his fingers sends a puppet spinning into a wild jig. When he severs its strings with a thought, the puppet falls to the ground, lifeless.

Kankurou knows that power is not a matter of strength; that is a lesson he learned well upon his father's death. Let his siblings wield brute force with impunity; he much prefers the subtle play of chakra at his fingertips to the crunch of bone beneath a wave of wind or sand.

He revels in making his puppets dance, revels in the absolute control he holds over their actions. That is real power- let Gaara be Kazekage, with the strength of a monster. Kankurou knows how to pull strings and, in the village of Hidden Sand, that knowledge is more valuable than the strength of ten thousand demons.

And Kankurou knows which strings to pull- he knows that his brother never learned to differentiate between love, lust, hatred, and need. He knows that Gaara desperately wants proof that he is loved, that his precious people are not afraid of him.

With this knowledge comes the ability to make Gaara arch and writhe and moan, just like a pretty little puppet, all pale skin and long limbs. He collapses just like a marrionette, too, falling back against the mattress in a tangle of shivering limbs.

He should feel ashamed for taking advantage of the one crack in his brother's impenetrable defense, but it gives him that most precious commodity- control. Control over the Kazekage, and control over the village. It's just so easy- and Kankurou has no need to fear Gaara now, so there is at least some honesty in his actions.

After all, no one notices the puppeteer- least of all the puppet.
-------

The need to edit, it is like burning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh I like it. It's got metaphoric weight. Bonus points for bringing in Temari.

all pale skin and long limbs

Is the only phrase that knocked me out of the mood: it just seems so standard and, well, girly. Otherwise, what's to edit?

-Sonya