Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Dreamscrape- Sestina

Standing alone in the room, I am struck dumb by the blue
of the sky through the window, its subtle
colors shifting like the strange potential
of un-rippled water before the stone falls.
Enraptured, I watch the tiny cattle integrate
themselves into the landscape, which previously was bare.

An veiled man appears beside me and strips me bare;
the room is not cold but my fingers are blue.
He tells me it is time for me to integrate
myself into society, the blade in his hand unsubtle
in its warning, should I think to resist. Night falls
outside, as though it, too were aware of the potential

for disaster here. He says I have the potential
to be an upstanding citizen; sickened, I cannot bear
the thought of it. Rather than wait for his axe to fall
on my exposed neck, I flee through the blue
window, into the now gray night; gone are the subtle
sky colors. The cattle gather, excited; "Ain't it great?"

they ask, as their numbers change over time. I cannot integrate
this equation, though I tremble with electric potential,
and am shot through from toe to crown with a subtle,
insidious voltage. The current dances over my bare
nerves, stripped like wires to their copper cores. The blue
sparks shower my bovine audience like waterfalls

of violent light. Suddenly anti-derivative, the sky falls
and the cows go too, leaving as they came, with the integration
of new elements into the landscape. Figures in blue
surround me, dancing, singing, revelling in the potential
for joy in all things. Sparks still fly from my bare
soul, and I embrace the dancers, as filled with Sappho's subtle

fire as they are. Without music, we dance to the subtle
vibrations of the emotion, the rising and falling
of heartbeats marking time for the rhythm of bare
feet. In the predawn graylight we integrate
our voices into the morning-song; the air hums with potential,
and the sun explodes into being out of the blue.

The sky is unsubtle in its attempts to integrate
our whirling dervish dance of falling potential
into its bare and breathtaking expanse of blue.
---------------

What? Grammar? Cease your crazy talk!

I think, when I rewrite it, I may change a few of the words; "subtle," as much as I love it as a word, really doesn't work all that well in a sestina. I'm not getting rid of "integrate" or "potential," though.

It's funny how much easier it is to write a sestina when you aren't obligated to make sense. :P

No comments: