Thursday, May 20, 2004

Such, and other stuff nonsense- Vagrant Story.

The problem with replaying Vagrant Story is that it tends to make me obsess, and consider various aspects of certain characters that I hadn't before. And I really must get over my fear of fanfic, because there's just so much that you can do with the story and characters; I'm sad that this game received so little acclaim, because it really is amazing. (Amazing enough to have me rereading my favorite fics for it over again for the fourth time...)

It's difficult to come up with original ideas, though; it's amazing how influenced you are by other, better fic writers. It's a little discouraging, too. I shall have to get over this, I suppose.

But I do wonder how Callo would react if she met up with Ashley after the end of everything; keeping these people in character is annoying because they're all such stoic, selfish bastards, or they're all headcases- and they all speak with that pseudo-formal-medieval diction that's a pain to replicate, because the game sort of created its own mode of speaking. Well, that, or the localizers just weren't paying attention all the time- but it's not like it actually takes place in fourteenth century France. So they're forgiven, mostly, just because the Crimson Blades in the wine cellars get into an argument and finally one shouts at the other, "Buggered if I know!" And then Ashley kills them. Oops.

I've decided to obsess over Callo, the only female character with lines who survives. Neesa doesn't count, since I like to think that she dies. Now, let me repeat this- Callo, the only female character with lines who survives. My general dislike of all female characters ever is practically legendary. (That is to say, not at all, but I like to think it is.) The only other female character with lines who survives that Square has done that I actually don't despise or otherwise feel apathetic towards is...Selphie. And that's only because of my idiotic replaying of VIII and subsequent minor fixation on characters I didn't really notice in ninth grade. (And because, dude, Selphie is crazy. She's also a sorceress, but I'm not writing that when I've got Callo on the brain.)

I realized the other day that I wanted to be fourteen again. There are so many things I could refrain from screwing up, if I got to do it over again. But then I wouldn't only be six years too late, I'd be eleven years too late, and that's just a bit much. Nevermind. I've just found myself missing freshman year a bit. Or rather, missing 1999 a bit. That's all it really is- I want to be who I am now, and I want it to be 1999.

Life's a bitch, and I'm supposed to be talking about Vagrant Story. Only I could do that for...oh, maybe a few years, and still not cover everything. They're not plot holes, not really, they're just things they left out. Bastards. But I like Callo, and I like Hardin, and I think I'm going to do unforgiveable things to Joshua.

The game already did unforgiveable things to Sydney and Ashley, so I'm just going to have them snark at each other. They're like Setzer and Shadow, only with more angst and less chemistry...or something. (What was that? Was that the sound of V not inflicting her perverted yaoi notions on two male characters? Or was it the sound of the world ending? I'm pretty sure they'd sound kind of similar...) Sure, the game gives all sorts of material to work with, between Ashley's asspants and Sydney's crotchpants and lack of shirt, and the way Sydney flirts with Ashley all the time- that whole hart/hunter thing? Yeah. Okay. He's as fruity as Kuja, only a little less psycho. (Just a smidge.) But Ashley, even with those pants and that hair, still comes off as mostly sexless- to me, at least.

Haven't decided whether or not to turn the Callo thing into a multi chapter fic or if I should just keep it short and simple; probably the former, and I'll save any Callo/Ashely/Joshua shennanigans for a potential sequel.

And maybe I'll play with reincarnation a bit, do a little research, and make Ashley a fighter pilot in WWII. He'd enjoy that, I think.

*wanders off to make notes* I am so doomed.

No comments: