Friday, June 02, 2006

On cosplay

I wish I had enough of a positive body image to cosplay Nami, because holy shit, she just got really frickin' awesome. (I love One Piece. I love it so much.) Her Enies Lobby outfit is kind of lacking in fabric, though- not that she hasn't always dressed a little on the sluttish side, (Happiness Punch!) but still. Tiny jacket, tiny skirt- not on, really. On the other hand, the suped up Clima Tact would be an awesome weapon to make.

Sogeking would be another awesome cosplay- complicated mask, giant weapon, swishy cloak.

Been looking around for cosplay advice in various places; if I'm actually going to do Tonberry (and my parents give me a horrified look every time I bring this up), I'm going to need to make the head out of something that won't kill me. This will probably involve digging one of my old softball helmets out of the garage and sticking lots and lots of foam on top of it. I'll just be a Tonberry with a giant, giant head. :) Alternately, I might just obtain lots and lots of green face paint and a pair of yellow-lensed reflective goggles or glasses, and then just go all out on the cloak and bling it 'til it can't be blinged no more. ("Bling it!" "Oh, my dear- it has been blung.") The FFIX Tonberry has embroidery or some sort of texturing or pattern around the collar and cuffs of the cloak; the FFX one has stitching on the front. I may combine the two, throw on some beads, and go for an Amano-esque style Tonberry.

Many, many years ago, my online handle was Tonberry Queen- so I'm rather excessively excited to be doing this cosplay. I'll need to make a crown- craft foam will be used, and abused.

And, of course, I still really, really wish I were tall, thin, and male. Because then there would be nothing stopping me from cosplaying Setzer (aside from massive amounts of time and money). I'd even settle for just being tall- as things are, I'd need ten inch platforms to be properly accurate. I'd trip and snap my neck if I wore them, but I'd do it. I'd so do it. And then I'd kidnap someone and make them cosplay Daryl (purple and red, blonde hair, throw in some feathers, bam, you're done), and do a walk-on for a masquerade to "Luck Be a Lady."

For finishing up the Fuu costume, I need to fix the flowers- using felt, probably, or maybe just applying some interfacing to the fabric I've got. And I'll sew the bows, so they aren't just held together with safety pins and a prayer. And I ought to find proper zori. Then I need to get either a sunflower or a pinwheel, and I'll need to make that knife she's got. More pink. Feh. Mugen needs a sword, Jin needs a hat and swords that won't fall apart, and all three of us need to come up with dynamic poses.

Pimp-Urahara, like Setzer, will remain a dream costume for the time being. But next year...oh, yes. There will be a pimptastic hat. And rhinestone studded geta, and a sealed Benihime with glitter and feathers.

I want to go to a hardware store and start buying pieces of wood and copper tubing, just because I can. Hardware stores are so much fun. And, ohman, cosplay is so exciting. (I need a paycheck so badly.)

No comments: