Wednesday, August 09, 2006

It's official: GenX owns my soul

Firstly, Emma Frost trying to cook breakfast for the kids? Ohgod. No, Emma. Ketchup is not a suitable substitute for tomatoes. Also, you either get to keep your maternal instincts or your skanky corset. You can't have both, it's creepy.

Secondly, why the hell are there so many cartoon characters in this series? First Howard the Duck, now Elwood the Pooka- I am perplexed, befuddled, and delighted.

Thirdly, Jono trying to make popcorn with his face? I...am so in love.

Fourthly, Angelo. Just- Angelo. Bill Clinton jokes and slasher movie marathons and bad internet humor and calling all the girls "chica" and being a complete and utter dork all the time, and the way he prefers ancient Atari games to the best in Shi'ar entertainment systems. I think your chin fuzz is sexy Ange, even if no one else does.

Fifthly, Jono saying "the ol' ultra-violence." Unf unf, baby. Unf unf. Also, the terrified look he gets on his face whenever anyone tells him he's cute.

Sixthly, the way Emma and Sean keep taking the kids on field trips that involve circuses or mini golf or other startlingly mundane things, and how they make up the most adorably dysfunctional family ever. D'awwwwww.

Seventhly, the immense joy Emma and Sean get out of beating the snot out of each other. XD...DDDDDDDDD I love Emma Frost so, so much.

I'm so happy I found issue #1 at Otakon; it's got a foil cover! It's so mid '90s it hurts! And I'm utterly in love with this series. This is good, because I've gotten to the point in X-Force where Cable, Domino, Ric, and Shatty have left, and they were kind of my main reasons for reading that title. And Cable, meanwhile, is doing his warrior of destiny thing, which isn't half as interesting as him doing his snarky soldier thing. Good thing I just picked up all of The Authority to fill the gap in my comics reading.

...Yeah, okay, I'm a little obsessed. But can you blame me?

As far as The Authority goes, I do love Apollo and the Midnighter (even with the Midnighter's horrible, horrible helmet) but my favorites are Jack Hawksmoor and The Doctor. And the Jennys, of course, but mostly Jack. He has the coolest powers ever. He's the God of Cities. He can speak to them, command them, commune with them- and he walks barefoot through them, and is so stuffed full of alien tech as the result of hundreds of abductions throughout his childhood that he's really not even human anymore. He's shiny. (Not literally, that's Angie. But still.)

You have to love a guy who can point at a pair of skyscrapers and go, "You two! Help my friend! ...I don't give a shit if there's people inside you!"

I love the idea of sentient cities. I love cities in general, and you really don't have to walk far in New York to feel the place's heartbeat.

The Doctor is Jack's opposite; where Jack is the lord of all that is urban sprawl, The Doctor is the Shaman of Earth. Captain Planet, if you will. Jeroen is a coward and a junkie, but he can turn bullets into butterflies with a thought.

I love Warren Ellis. He creates the most amazing universes, the most incredible realities. So good, so good. Most people will tell you to stop reading once the Ellis run ends, and then read Revolution.

I think this is a little extreme, since the Ellis run was only 12 issues long, and that's really nowhere near enough of The Authority. On the other hand, while the Millar run of The Authority isn't bad, it isn't Ellis; some of the plotlines are just plain dumb. And the way Apollo and the Midnighter become Big Gay Superheroes instead of a pair of badass guys who also happen to be gay does get irritating pretty quickly. Also, despite the fact that Apollo is physically the strongest member of the team, he's also the one who consistently gets his ass kicked. I mean, what the hell. All Shen has going for her are wings and claws, but she hardly ever gets beat down. Apollo has heat ray vision, super strength, flight, and doesn't need to breathe- yet he's the one who gets kidnapped and abused all the time. I motion that this happens because he's the pretty half of the Big Gay Superhero couple, and therefore clearly the wussy girl half.

>_<

The middle part of The Authority has its moments, but I recommend skimming large chunks of it. I was mostly reading the middle stuff for Jack and the Doctor, anyway.

In the meantime, my own creative endeavors remain stalled, aside from the one scene of Silverlock being an asshole to end all assholes. I mean, really. There's insensitive, and then there's utterly cruel.

At least the voices in my head keep me entertained. (Dear self: we are not going to write Skin/Chamber fic. No, really. We're not. I mean it, stop that. It's not happening unless we get over our tendency to giggle every time we write "cock," and god knows that's not happening any time soon. *facepalm* ...*giggle*)

1 comment:

voyance par mail gratuite said...

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free.