Sunday, January 01, 2006

Two, Naruto: Scars, part 1

First in a series of Ino-centric pieces, inspired by her new hairstyle.
----

"Just do it already, forehead-girl." Ino snapped her fingers at Sakura. "I've got places to be."

"What, you have a hot date?" Sakura clapped her hand over her mouth in sudden horror. "Oh, Ino- I didn't mean-"

Ino's eyes flickered away from her friend for a moment, then she smiled wickedly. The movement pulled at her bandages, stretching the skin around her mouth. "Maybe I do. Jealous?"

"I don't have time for dates, Ino-pig. I've got more important things to do." Sakura picked up a set of shears. "Now hold still, or I'll cut your hair again."

"Don't even think about it, forehead girl. It took me three years to grow it back." She held still as Sakura carefully cut away the bandages on the side of her face. "Well? How does it look?"

Sakura said nothing. Ino looked annoyed, and poked her in the forehead. "Hey. Get me a mirror or something, if you won't say anything."

The right side of Ino's face had caught the brunt of a fire jutsu; most of her ear was gone, reduced to a shriveled mass of scar tissue. The burns extended to her cheekbone and along her jawline, and then down her neck. Her hair had already been cut; the bald patches were shiny with burn scars.

It was just one of those freak accidents that sometimes happened. Shikamaru had made a miscalculation, and one of the enemy Sound Nins had slipped through their defenses. Ino had been closest, that was all.

They were Shinobi; this was what they did. Ino knew that. Sakura knew it, too, but she didn't have to like it.

Ino grew impatient with Sakura's reticence; she grabbed Sakura by the chin and pulled her face down so she could use the other girl's hitai-ate as a mirror. "Good thing you wear it where it belongs now, forehead girl."

"Ino!" As Sakura pulled away, the blonde slipped the forehead protector off and examined her face further. "It's-"

"It's fine, Sakura." Ino touched the remains of her ear. "Doesn't hurt at all- and I can hear you just fine."

"But- your face-"

Ino handed back the hitai-ate. "I'll cover it with the rest of my hair. It's not a problem." She slid off the examination table. "I'll see you later- I promised I'd meet Chouji at the shop for lunch."

Sakura watched her go, still gripping her hitai-ate in white knuckled hands.

1 comment:

Voyance en ligne par mail said...

I just found your site and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your posts.In any case I'll be subscribing to your blog and I hope you post again soon.