Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Naruto fic recs

Because I'm feeling remarkably unproductive right now, I give you the fics on my current list of Awesome Fic. All Naruto, all the time; gen, het, yaoi, and other stuff of various ratings.

Dialects by luc court. The same thing, as seen by a multitude of characters. Anything and everything by this author is amazing, haunting, disturbing, and lovely stuff; tends to focus on Kakashi, the Sannin, and the Sound nin, but not necessarily all at once. (This fic in particular I love for the snippy Itachi and Kabuto not playing god.)
Foxhunt by saro. Naruto and Sasuke are mostly grown up, and someone is stalking Naruto. Only a few chapters up, but very well written- it's much better than my description makes it sound, I swear. Something about the characterizations of Naruto and Sasuke are particularly compelling.
Bell Jars by honeyblood. Sakura's personal growth from age twelve to thirty five, and the growth of her hair. Without a doubt the best Sakura fic I have ever read (granted, I haven't read many, but this is still an awesome piece of writing). Will possibly make you cry, though chances are you're made of sterner stuff than that. Sometimes we're just not cut out for the lives we choose to lead.
A Murder of One by Devosama. Kakashi/Iruka. This is my favorite Naruto fic ever- I've lost count of the number of times I've reread it, and I hardly ever reread fic. (It's the story I measure all other Kakashi/Iruka stories by, and they always come up lacking- Devosama has written a very few other Naruto fics, focused on sideline characters, and they are wonderful.) A not-love story set before the chuunin exams; it's summer, and there are ghosts everywhere. The prequel, Only Happy When It Rains is short and sweet (and by sweet I mean not at all, really, just kind of short), but not necessary for understanding its sequel.
Project Human by randomsome1. A GaaraSakuraLee love triangle. Stop looking at me like that, it's good, even if it's het and the most random pairing ever. Sakura-centric; she's growing up, and her friends and enemies (and friends who became enemies and enemies who became friends) are growing up with her. Sakura occasionally gets on my nerves, but I love Sasuke so much in this- the whole three times he shows up. Also, Gaara. What more do you need?
Shift by beeper. Unrequited Kakashi/Iruka almost-drabble. Iruka recognizes futility when he sees it. No, seriously. (The last line killed me.)
Untitled series by Paxnirvana. Didn't feel like linking to each one, so just read the lot of them- there's four up on the website, and they're reasonably short. Kakashi/Iruka and a slowly (or quickly, depending on how you look at it) growing relationship, with rationalizations and everything. These are the stories that pulled me into the Naruto fandom; Pax writes for a whole slew of other fandoms, and she does great work in all of them.
A Girl Thing by firefly. Humor. Sakura is PMSing on a mission and is in desperate need of female company. Naturally, the person she turns to is...Kakashi. (I swear I'm not really a twelve year old boy, but I really do find well written PMS!ninja stories hilarious.) Firefly has also written a bunch of excessively cute sandsib drabbly things, if that's your cup of tea.
Teamwork by Asuka Kureru. Threesome fic (foursome if you count Inner-Sakura and fivesome if you count the Kyuubi...eheh...nevermind, shutting up now). Naruto goes into heat and Team 7 gets caught in the middle of it. Sakura gets pregnant, shennanigans ensue, and I love Team 7 so hard it's ridiculous; this is one of my favorite Naruto fics, because all three of them are just so completely right together.
Abdication by darkeyedwolf. Kakashi/Sasuke. Unbearably cute in a bittersweet and utterly perfect way. Sasuke can't cook, but that doesn't stop him from trying. Darkeyedwolf has done a bunch of other Kakasasu fics, and they're all great, but this one is my favorite. (It's short, and it's absolutely beautiful, and my jaw hit the floor once I hit the third paragraph and I didn't get around to picking it back up until the end. ...Actually, the third paragraph (which is one line) is the sole reason I am reccing this particular fic, as opposed to any of the other, less sappy ones on the community.)
Damaetas by Pellaz. Dark, disturbing, depressing Sasu/Naru. Beautifully written, but it will rip out your heart and spit on it by the end. Set in the future, long after Sasuke defected to Orochimaru. Here there be angst, and such sweet, sweet angst it is.
Not Heaven by Anria. And, to make up for the Sasu/Naru angst, there is Gaara/Naruto fluff. Good fluff, though, not cotton candy fluff. Gaara and Naruto end up working together, and Gaara questions the meanings of friendship and love. I need to not sound like an afterschool special when I describe these things; this is a very sweet and well written fic, and I also need to get over my urge to hug Gaara every time I see him characterized like this. (So...adorkable...*dies*)

And that's all for now. More later, maybe.

No comments: