Tuesday, May 30, 2006

More comics- Templesmith pwns me.

I picked up issue #5 of Fell over the weekend; have I mentioned that I adore cop dramas? The real reason I collected all of Fake (aside from teh gay) was because it was about policemen doing policey things. The occasional make-out sessions were a tasty bonus. Fell continues to make me wildly happy. (Rich and Mayko are so cute in a sociopathic sort of way.)

I also picked up issues 1 and 2 of Hatter M by Frank Beddor and Liz Cavalier with art by Ben Templesmith. Yes, I've become as much of a whore for Mr Templesmith's art as I am for Mr Ellis's writing. It's sketchy, frenetic, and grotesque- and I can't get enough of it.

I'll admit I bought Hatter M solely because of the art- I didn't even bother reading the intro blurb on the title page. Turns out the comics are connected to a book series coming out in the fall called The Looking Glass Wars; it's all Alice in Wonderland themed stuff, with a twist. The main character, Hatter Madigan, is a Milliner in the Royal Guard, entrusted with the safety of Princess Alyss. Alyss goes missing, and he has to track her down across 19th century earth, armed with dozens upon dozens of blades and a hat.

...omg hat. It's the coolest hat since the invention of hats. And the story starts of in France, where Madigan loses his hat. A native comes across it and says, "Le huh?" and from that point on, I think I fell in love. It didn't hurt that right around that time, Madigan busted out with the blades and started slaughtering people, but the silly French was definitely the thing that did it. Also: "It's a pigeon!" "It's a dirigible!" "It's- Le Monstre!"

I'm a sucker for cheese, what can I say. (omg hat) Silliness aside, the story feels rather well thought out and romantically lovely- Wonderland operates on the power of imagination, and Madigan tracks the Princess by following people who glow with an excess of imagination. It's just one of those things that makes me squirm in my seat and go, "Cooooool!" And, y'know- omg hat, and steampunk necromancy. I've got such a soft spot for steampunk necromancy.

I need to find a comic shop and quickly, because I've got too many series to keep up with now. I guess I could always order from Khepri.com, but I'd much rather purchase from a shop.

Feeling vaguely tempted to write to Warren Ellis's Fell account, because yes. I am that much of a fangirl.

(omg hat)

1 comment:

rosi said...

Thank you for this great site, really variegated good and interesting ideas. Especially keep it up. Good luck
Best regards

voyance serieuse ; voyance gratuite